Date: March 28th – April 4th 2020.
Host City: Santiago-Rodriguez and surrounding areas
The JH Scholarships will range from $100 to $500 of total trip costs.
ABOUT THE TRIP
Jose’s Hands, One to the Other Ministries (OTTOM), and medical officials in the Dominican Republic will harness the expertise of dedicated health and medical professionals to address an innumerable amount of challenges in the Dominican Republic.
The main goal of our medical mission is to provide medical care to a large number of under-served people in a rural village of the Dominican Republic. The 6-day trip will provide medical assistance in branches like internal medicine, public health, podiatry, and much more. Students will be led by Dominican and American medical professionals throughout the trip and collaborate while learning different practices. Clinic sites are set up daily during the time of your trip.
Most of the people who receive medical care are women, children, and the elderly.
OTTOM started their operations in the fall of 1986 with an inaugural trip to the city of Acapulco in the country of Mexico. It was in this resort city, known for its beautiful beaches, vistas, and people, that OTTOM brought in a group of doctors, nurses, preachers, and teachers to the areas seldom seen by tourists for a 10-day outreach. One to the Other Ministries has focused on medical missions merging medicine and prayer with great success for many years. This combination of medical and evangelistic teams has proven to be the perfect strategy for this ministry and thus is still being used today.
We will stay at a hotel in the host city. Specific details on the stay will be emailed to the student closer to trip time as these locations can vary year to year.
- Day 1: Travel from hometown / Miami to Santiago de Los Caballeros, Dominican Republic (please ask a JH representative for the specific flight to purchase) The Airline/City Code is : STI. Once we arrive and clear customs, we will transfer to our hotel (estimated time of travel: 1 hr). After check in, the team will have a meal and a meeting and coordinate the day-to-day logistics for the trip. (Note: Villages//destination for the clinics may vary, per the choice of our local contact.)
- Day 2: Clinic 1 – AM <> lunch back at hotel <> Clinic 2 – PM <> back to hotel
- Day 3: Clinic 3 – AM <> lunch back at hotel <> Clinic 4 – PM <> back to hotel
- Day 4: Clinic 5 – AM <> lunch back at hotel <> Clinic 6 – PM <> back to hotel
- Day 5: POSSIBLE Day OFF <> Beach Day <> Lunch by ocean <> Return and debriefing
- Day 6: Departure to Santiago for flight back home.
The heart of the mission is to serve the needy, which we will accomplish by touching each life via our care, compassion, and our love towards each child, adult, and family we will see.
The medical students will shadow the doctors for the first couple days and will experience a change in the days to follow as the doctors will allow more freedom in working directly with the patient. This allows the student a more accurate “taste” of what they will experience in the future as healthcare provider.
Potential / Soft Logistical breakdown: When patients arrive, the team will register them, assist them to triage, and then take them to the provider. Once the clinic visit is complete, each patient will receive a list of medications that a runner will take to our pharmacy. As the prescriptions are being filled, the patient will be transported to the prayer room, and a group of folks will provide optional prayer for the needs of each and every one. This is not mandatory for the students to attend.
After prayer… both prescriptions and patients will be reunited, and they are free to go home.
The cost is $1,000 (land portion) plus the cost of the flight (prices fluctuate but expect around $450) per person. This includes all in-country lodging for all nights with taxes included; all transfers from and to the airport; all in-country transportation in air-conditioned buses; all meals in the Dominican Republic; and official OTTOM mission shirt as well as Jose’s Hands Scrub set.
Reminder: the price does not include airfare.
- Purchase your flight the moment an OTTOM or JH Rep informs you of which flight to purchase. Send a screenshot of the flight to a JH rep to confirm your spot.
- Apply to JH scholarship (scholarship.joseshands.org)
- Scholarship amount is awarded on your behalf once you purchase the flight and sent to OTTOM towards your balance
- Final payment (remaining balance) will all be due 30 days before departure.
**You may choose to mail it at: One to the Other Ministries, 5131 East 25th Place, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74114. If you choose to PayPal your final payment, you may do this but it will cost you an additional 2.9% fee (from PayPal) The PayPal email is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Price subject to change due to many factors, but usually never does.
Jose’s Hands will help you create an online fundraising portal. You will simply create a profile, set your fundraising goal, and begin sharing your page among friends and family. With easy social media sharing tools, your fundraising page will go viral among social media circles, and you will raise your portion of the mission trip cost in no time. Jose’s Hands will also provide you with a fundraising packet to assist you in raising your remaining balance. Do not fear, you’ll be surprised just how generous your friends and family can be, proud of you attending a selfless mission!
Leave your thought ß—–REMOVE
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
We at Jose’s Hands believe it is important to introduce first-year medical school students to medical missions in underserved and underrepresented communities abroad. Exposing students early to the various social, cultural, and health conditions facing a developing world community provides a hands-on, eyewitness account necessary for building and sustaining a lifelong involvement in philanthropic medical service.
Other jobs you may like
- @ Jose’s Hands
- Santiago-Rodríguez, Dominican Republic